Sunday, January 8, 2012

Grasping: A Prayer

Sometimes I catch myself grasping
For things I cannot have
Wishing, wanting, reaching
For love or income or recognition,
As if to bring those things closer,
That will surely go running
Just for the grasping.

I can't claim innocence.
My grasping is not without thought.
It is not without recognition of
How damaging grasping can be,
It is not without knowledge of
The selfishness of the act.
I know the consequences
And I beg myself to stop.
And yet I can't.

Forgive me God for my grasping,
Give me caring enough to withstand it,
Give me patience enough to wait,
Give me love enough to think about
Someone other than myself,
Hold my hands God,
Hold my hands.

1 comment:

  1. You have what you need. Be careful of what you want. Enjoy being you. From what I've read there's some really good stuff inside of you. Keep cultivating that.

    ReplyDelete